My L.A. Lawyers assists motorcyclists throughout the Los Angeles, Stevenson Ranch, and Burbank metropolitan who have been injured in a motorcycle accident.
Motorcycle Accidents are Often Serious
The unprotected nature of a motorcycle means accidents involving motorcycles are more likely to result in serious injuries and deaths than accidents involving automobiles. Additionally, the fact that motorcycles have only two wheels means they are less stable than cars and more susceptible to certain road hazards such as potholes, oil spills, and debris that can make a road unreasonably dangerous. Injuries that commonly result from motorcycle accidents include:
- Spinal cord, neck, and back injuries
- Traumatic brain or head injuries
- Burn injuries
- Fractures or severely broken bones
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
- Crashes involving other vehicles: Approximately 75% of all motorcycle accidents involve other vehicles. What often happens is a car or truck driver fails to see the motorcycle, turns or u-turns into the motorcycle, or changes lanes into the motorcycle’s path.
- Rear-end collisions: Motorcycles are at a high risk of being rear-ended by heavier vehicles that cannot stop as quickly.
- Single-bike accidents: Police reports often place the fault on the rider in a single-bike accident. However, these accidents are often caused by road debris, potholes, or other road hazards and not by rider error
- Car doors opening unexpectedly: Many people exiting their cars do not look for oncoming motorcycles before swinging their doors open.
- Rope or chains across paths: Some property owners illegally place chains and ropes across trails in an attempt to keep motorcyclists away. However, it is illegal to install such traps and property owners can be held liable for any accident that results.
Lane Splitting Does Not Cancel Recovery in California
California law permits lane splitting, defined as driving in between two lanes of traffic, if done safely and carefully. However, if an accident occurs while a motorcyclist is lane-splitting and the motorcyclist is injured, the available recovery may be reduced if the jury finds that the biker was partially at fault for causing the accident.
Seek Experienced Legal Representation
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, it is important to consult with experienced Stevenson Ranch personal injury lawyers as soon as possible so that a full investigation of the accident can be performed and any evidence can be preserved. To schedule a free initial consultation, contact My L.A. Lawyers today.